As many of you know, Great Falls Select Basketball competes in the Fairfax County Youth Basketball League (FCYBL). With Fairfax County being one of the most populous counties in the country (2011 census has it at #36 in all of USA), this league brings an incredible level of competition for our more skilled basketball players in Great Falls. It is well run and provides our boys and girls the chance to play against some very strong talent.
GFSB has 11 teams competing this year with over 110 kids. At this time of year, the league follows a process to nominate and vote for ALL LEAGUE players, Most Valuable Players (MVPs), and MVCs (Most Valuable Coach).
Last evening, the league announced the results for the 2014-15 season and we are proud to announce that GFSB was very well represented!
- We had 12 players voted all league – over 10% of the entire GFSB population! A nice accomplishment.
- We had 2 players voted MVP for their grade/division – Isabella Perkins and Duncan Brown!! This is a spectacular accomplishment and congratulations to both players!!
- We had 1 coach voted MVC for their grade/division – Ben Urbanski!!! As voted by his coaching peers; Ben grew up in Great Falls Basketball and this is an honor for sure. Well done Ben!
The below players will be recognized with awards during the March 8th League Finals. We will send out information to all Great Falls House and Select families on the locations and times of these events, if you are able to get out and support our players.
ALL LEAGUE PLAYERS
- 5th Grade Girls, Division 1 – Alayna Arnolie, Olivia Walke, Gracie Arnolie
- 5th Grade Boys, Division 1 – Garrett Brennan
- 6th Grade Girls, Division 1 – MVP Isabella Perkins, Oma Mere
- 6th Grade Boys, Division 3 – Nicholas Faili
- 7th Grade Boys Division 1 – Same Maruca, Kunal Sharma
- 7th Grade Boys, Division 3 – Brian Feinstein
- 8th Grade Boys, Division 3 – MVP Duncan Brown, Jack Hostetter, MVC Ben Urbanski
We would also like to take this time to thank ALL of the GFSB players, coaches, and volunteers for their commitment of time and effort. Every team has represented Great Falls with competitiveness and sportsmanship. From a brief look at the standings, 7 of our 11 teams still have a shot to continue into the post-season and perhaps lift that championship trophy on March 8th. We will send out further details on locations and times of the post season tournaments via email or the Great Falls Hoops website.
Please join us in congratulating our ALL LEAGUE players!
Laura Bean, Dick Warrick, John Brennan